Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Worship at Watato and Rural Homestays


*Her cuteness definately makes up for her lack of diapers :P


-So I haven't blogged in a while. These past couple weeks have been crazy.

-Last friday I got to attend an all night prayer and worship time at Watato Church. So much to take in! Ugandans are soo alive when it comes to worshipping. Through dancing, praying as their lives depend on it...pacing (this is where you find a partner, hold their hand and move around the church praying for the topic is called out by the person with the microphone). I met a girl named Happy and got to pace with her :). Some of the things were questionable to me, like speaking in tounges over the microphone without an interpretation...and a lot of emotion.

-There were also a few dances that were fun towards the end that would be considered sunday school worship songs such as The saints go marching down and a Lugandan one that was almost like The Hokey Pokey...but worshiping Jesus lol. I also met a guy who was wearing a Seattle, Wa shirt! I was so stoked that I had to ask him where he got it. I thought maybe he knew someone from there...or visited there... but when I asked, he said he bought it at a shop. Seattle, Wa. shrits for sale in Uganda!! haha. But overall the worship night was a great experience...I was just more exhausted than I have ever felt in my life afterward! After sleeping a good 5 hours on sat. and Sat. night...My body still felt like a cement block on Sunday. I barely did some laundry only to immediately collapse on my bed and sleep throughout the rest of the night without dinner. By Monday I recovered and now full force throwing myself into lots of work we have this week.

-Currently I am reading "A Girl Soldier" which is sooo good. I used to have the hardest time reading books...but here thats like all we do for most of our classes. Read, discuss, and write papers on the books. I am starting to become a book reader :).

-Next week I will not be in access to any internet connection as we will be on our rural homestay trip in Kapchorwa, known as the place of a friend. I am really excited for it. The interns who have been there before said to be ready to spend a lot of time just chillin and talking with your host family. We get to pick a lot of coffee beans :) The view and scenery I guess is the most beautiful land that you could ever imagine looking at, and its very hilly with lots of creatures :).

-Some of the challenges during the homestay will be eating different kinds of foods...and a lot of it...due to a lot of visiting of friends of the family...and sometimes 8 cups of whole milk in one day! And also not being able to run...but I lay this down. Also, another thing is that one of my IMME friends, Amanda, encouraged me as she explained that she doesn't to go into the rural homestay as if it were a challenge to live simply and rural..but to really seek to get to know her family and develop relationship with them and learn their lifestlye. I am encouraged to seek to do the same.

-Its raining today :) I like it because its nice and cool. A good break from the extreme sun and rain means blessings. Many blessings today :P

-Also yesterday I attended a missions seminar taht was about Save the Mothers organization. Dr. Jean Chamberlain lives on campus and has done a lot of work through her organization that she started. Her goal is to eduacate as many people on the importance of safe labor. So many die giving birth.

*4.5 million die of births (mothers/babies) a year
when 2.5 million people die of HIV/AIDS

Check it out : savethemothers.org

6 comments:

  1. Dangit my comment didn't appear. Do you stay with a different host family for your homestay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. MEGAN!!!!! I am so glad you posted something on your blog! Haha, oh cute little Docus...haha. I miss you and love you sooooo much!

    Much Love,
    God Bless,
    Karli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Book reader!!! Yes!!! Coffee!!! Yes!! God challenging your faith! Yes!! Whole milk... I'm glad it's not me because I would puke my guts out...and no internet for blogs. Makes me a little sad. I love you and super proud of you!! Counting down the days when I get to see you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm proud of you sissy! Know that I think about you all the time and I love you!

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. In response to Jessica's comment about whole milk...I thought the same thing!! Pray for me :P. Also, I have become a whole milk mixed with water with coffee and sugar drinker! I never thought I would be in my life..due to the fact that I hate whole milk..but its not bad! And white bread and butter...Never in America..but here every morning. Pretty good and I have realized that it actually doesn't kill you...not yet anyways :P. Its amazing how much you can adjust to things when need be. Hopefully the same will be true if I am offered animal intestines :P. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and response to Phil's comment: Yes. For one week we travel 4 hours away to Kapchorwa (Kole Kenneth's home town) and stay with a new family. I am really stoked and hoping that I get to meet up with Kenneth's family :).

    ReplyDelete