Friday, August 14, 2009

Oregon College Life: Day #1







Ok, here I am, sucked into the world of blogging... :P






Yesterday my dad and I headed out from Oak Town in the morning and journeyed an 7 hour car ride. It was awesome being able to have one on one time with my dad before leaving for awhile. I had a great car ride of listening to The Monkeys, drinking coffee, talking about life and lectures of how not to get killed, and what to do if I am kidnapped... :), sleeping, reading, (There is a lot you can do when you are forced to sit in one place for hours).

When we arrived I hauled all of my stuff up to my dorm room... #229. As I began to unpack everything I started realizing how much of the stuff that I brought I don't even need. Ha.
(But mom, if you are reading this, I did forget shampoo and wash in the shower, my clothes in the dryer, and a sheet and some extra hangers. I will call you later :P) The rooms are pretty nice. I get a very springing matress thats really comfortable, a desk with drawers...a closet, and a beautiful view of a bar. I haven't gotten everything situated, but when I do I will take some pictures and post them.

Last night I went out to a taco place to say goodbye to my dad one last time. Lots of tears and very emotional... jk..not really. Sorry dad, I love you and know that I will see you lots and lots more times.

I think I am really going to enjoy having everything soo close. The Starbucks is not even a block down from the school...A cool ice cream place... a little bakery.... 7-11... Not to mention the University of Oregon.

This morning we left for some for some running trails that followed the Mackenzie River. It was super pretty and fun trails to run on. We did a 100 min run (50 in and 50 out) which added up to be about 12 miles. Afterwards we iced our legs in the river, which was way way too cold for me.However there are soo many rafters here its crazy! It makes me super pumped to go super intense rafting as its on my list of things to do along with sky diving :) So if anyone ever wants to go instense river rafting with me its only a 7 hour drive with a ready sense of adventure :)

Then after that we all piled in the vans and took off with the intention of hanging out at some cool hot springs that the coach knew about. However, when we got there, we found out that had to pay 5 bucks each and clothing was optional... Lets just say that the people that were already there took advantage of that and had us turned around heading back out to get our money back real fast. :P

After that we all ate lunch at the vans and headed over to a bridge that quite a few of the runners jumped off of. Usually I would be all for it, but I was pretty cold already and didn't feel like sitting in a van for an hour all cold without a towel. The water was soo super clear though! When you looked down from the bridge you could see directly through the water as if it was....ice? I don't know how else to explain it ha.

Ok, so, if you aren't bored yet...you probably are because I don't know how to write good blogs yet..haha but, after jumping off bridges we drove back to the school.

We all had chill time until dinner at 6:30 so I hung around campus..worked on unpacking somemore. Thought about taking a nap but decided to just get a cup of black coffee instead and go check out the little stores around campus. I got to talk to my lovely pregnant sister Allie today and hear the news that she is having a BOY! So exciting...However, I bought this really cute baby summer dress at a garage sale in hopes that she would have a girl... but oh well. I love love love to look at baby clothes, shoes, hats..anything baby so I can't wait to pick something out. Allie is going to make a great mom. :)

For dinner I had a baked potato with ketchup, cheese and sourcream and veggies. mmmmmm

Campus food: I love it! They have lots of foods I usually live off of such as bananas, apples, oranges, peanut butter and jelly, good bread, salad...

Then they have a hot food thing that I dont know what its called where you can order things to be made such as hamburgers, steak, and others..

You can basically have cereal whenever you want to...

Lots of juices and milk and CHOCOLATE MILK :)

However, there is a rumor that during the couple weeks that athletes are here before all the students, they really spice it up... as long as they keep the peanut butter and jelly thats all I care about :)

Bored yet? Blogging is a lot of work ha.

Hmmm, so after dinner I attemted to play a game of pool with a very nice girl I met named Melissa, but failed badly, so I left for my room and we lofted my bed which I am currently laying on. It feels like a cave. I can touch my ceiling, and my desk is underneath it. Its a pretty cool setting and it creates more space. I will post a picture up of it when I finish putting everything away.

The last thing that we did today as a team was got together at 8 and talked about nutrition and runners.

Our coach who is a nurtition teacher has a little different opinion on foods opposed to when I was at Everett. She says that things such as soda, and candy, and stuff like that are not all that bad..and there aren't any foods that you can't have. Just make sure everything stays at a minimum and you will be fine. I also found out that I need to consumer 523- around 600 grams of carbs a day. I don't know exactly what this looks like..but considering that I pretty dense carbohydrate snack like a bagel is about 25 grams of carbs, thats a lot of carbs for one day!!

Then after the meeting I was introduced to a game of ULTIMATE spoons. I think you guys would actually like it. Everyone sits in one room and plays spoons like you usually do, but instead of having the spoons be in the middle of the circle, they are all placed out of the room at the end of the dorm hall way. Its pretty crazy! I played a couple rounds until I was out, but as I am typing this I will every so often hear what sounds like a hurd of elephants running down the hall way. Its pretty dangerous too but a fun game.

Thats about it for today. And because its almost 11 I feel myself fading fast so I think I am going to post some pics and wrap it up and hopefully not allow the next ones be so long and drawn out. ha. Thanks for reading and keeping up with my life! If you have a blog don't forget to keep up with yours so I can keep up with your life! And if you don't...get one :)

Current thought and feelings: Still in transition mode. Pretty tired. Learning how to connect with everyone and get comfortable with new life and new state. Praying that each day becomes more and more comfortable and enjoyable. Missing friends and Washington. Also stoked for a new change. Although its hard now, I know that because its uncomfortable, its good and once more in the loop of how things work, I will not regret choosing this school.
i have more pics..just cant figure it out yet

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You're actually doing a blog, how exciting!! Sounds like you're having a fun time so far...and trust me, it only gets better! It will be awesome when Lindsey is down there too and then you guys will both be making friends and suddenly you will have a ton because you will be friends with her friends and her friends will be friends with yours. I am excited to check up on your blog, so keep writing when you get a chance! Also, thanks for saying I'm going to make a good mom...it helps put my mind at ease. It was good talking to you yesterday :-) We'll talk soon. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete