Friday, January 22, 2010

Homesickness already?

Yes, it has come already. Today as we only had one class and the rest of the day I must admit that I miss my home life. Having rice and beans and matoke for lunch and dinner two times a day for 2 weeks has now switched from a nice change and adventure to a loss of appetite, and lots of long calls lol :( . I didn't think it would be hard to give up my normal nutrition habits. I miss having different meals. Cold salads..fresh veggies and colorful meals. My body is having a hard time adjusting and it makes me feel gross. And the heat and not being able to run as often as I would like combined makes it hard as well.

Its also difficult trying to communicate differently all the time. So much effort and soo much time! Today I feel Ugandan anit-social. My flesh is screaming to just not socialize today and to stay bound to as much American life (Facebook, communicating with people back home, and blogging...or just reading and homework.) I wish I could have been there as my mom was talking Allie through her pregnancy and watch my parents expressions as we all eagerly awaited little Henry's birth. I miss home. I miss familiarity.

I apologize for writing about homesickness soo soon but I promised God that on this trip I will try to be as honest as possible about my emotions, feelings, and reactions to Ugandan life this semester, and currently, this is my status.

I am so thankful that I am here at this time though. God has already been teaching me a lot, and even through these current feelings, I am learning more about myself and feel myself growing. Lately, my greatest challenge here is not rushing everywhere. I am American, therefore I am always on the go. Africans take the time to pace...they seem to always have the time for you. They walk so leisurely that its hard to get used to...especially when I want to still fit so much in my day here. My goal for while I am here is to let go off rushing...let go of being so progamatic, and to put people first.

4 comments:

  1. Awww, we miss you too Megan! You will be back before you know it and then you'll be wanting to get back to Africa as soon as you can again! You have a beautiful nephew waiting here for you and he's only going to get cuter...so don't worry about missing out on these first few months of his life. Love you so much! Thanks for your prayers and thoughts through my pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan I love you so much!! I want to write you, but the address didn't make sense to me...maybe I'm crazy. Could you message me your address in it's entirety? Know that God's working in you constantly!! He's humbling you and building you back up. He's calling you to Himself and seeking relationship with you. I love you babe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was the hardest thing to get used to, the pace of life, everything seemed slow. they walk slow and when it rains nobody goes to class they just stay where they are. If you want the fresh veggies you got to go to the markets. I think there is a market in mukono town on every 4th tuesday of the month, ask your mama about it. My family always went and came back with lots of stuff. You can also go into Kampala to get stuff from shoprite and other larger grocery stores. I remember the two week slump where I couldnt eat any more matoke or posho, you will get through it. Buy some spicy top up and carry it with you it makes everything taste better. I also suggest going to the guild for fruit smoothies. Thats right on the path on the way to the DH. hope your having fun.
    ~Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Megan, Your African adventure you write about is the journey God has set you on.
    Oh Lord... please grant success to the journey on which you have sent Megan. Since God put you on this journey I am confident you will make the most of it. Be strong knowing that God is on the journey with you and HE will never leave you or forsake you.(Duet 31:8)(Psalm 139:7-8) You are not alone. I find it simply amazing that you can travel so far away from home and meet, and live, and share with people so different from you, and yet, feel somewhat like you have known someone longer than you have because of Jesus. Use that spiritual bond to cut through some of the communication barriers as you continue to enjoy the fellowship of your Uganda family. Above all allow God to teach you what it means to depend entirely upon HIM in every situation. Read (2 Cor. 4:17) Good Night I love you and I will see you in my dreams.

    Your loving father....

    ReplyDelete