Thursday, January 28, 2010

Uganda Update

-This last Tuesday was a holiday (Presidents Day). I spent the day watching War Dance and hearing one of the Ugandan Staff’s Testimonies. Then 8 hours of sitting on the cement watching Cats and Dogs, Cat in the Hat, part of Kung Fu Panda, and some of their soap operas (their popular tv here). The reason for this extreme measure, especially since I usually can’t watch one movie without falling asleep, was getting my hair braided. Its sooo intense. I now have twice as much hair and different reactions from people :P. Some American students say that I look like a true hippy…others say that I look like a native…and my Ugandan family says that I look very smart (meaning good looking)and my little sister says that I look very beautiful :). However, I have been getting different looks and stares from the Ugandans that I don't know how to interpret yet :S. I think I like my new style, it is taking some time to get used to though.


-Last night I taught my family how to make s’mores. They loved them! But even the kids said that they were sooo sweet. Haha what kids say things are too sweet? My papa said that now he has to drink a lot of water, because the more sugar you eat the more water you must drink..


-Since yesterday, little Docus (1 year old Ugandan sister) has only wanted me to hold her, feed her and play with her J. She is terrified of her mom because she went to the salon and got her hair cut to get ready to start her teaching job on Monday. I feel bad for my mama because I can tell that she feels such rejection from her little daughter. It reminds me of the time in Mexico when my mom woke up terrified of me :P.


-This morning after having a cup of chai, I helped the house maid wash the dishes. In the middle of them, I pointed at the water and asked her what the Ugandan word was for it. She told me Amaiza (not the right spelling.) So I repeated it, and the whole family started laughing historically. My siblings were jumping up and down and repeating the way I pronounced water. I was soo clueless as they were rambling in Lugandan. My papa came out hearing the commotion and started laughing too. Apparently the word water sounds like faeces (poop) if the ending isn’t accented right. Haha, I think I will not attempt to ask for a glass of water in Lugandan at a restaurant until I practice how to say it correctly.


-I had a Ugandan pancake yesterday. They are more like fried cookies. It consists of cassava flour (green banana flour) and menvus (yellow bananas). You roll the dough out and cut it in little circles, and cook it in hot hot oil for 5 min. So many things are cooked it oil here!! It kind of tasted like fried banana bread.


- I think I am currently learning major patience still with the pace of life, and that its not about me, and how people react to me, but Christ, and bringing Him glory in every action and word of my day. Another piece of humble pie please?
-This weekend is our trip to Lluweerow. Playing with compassion kids and eating dinner with Ugandan missionaries. :)


-P.S. I have the cutest little nephew EVER!!! :)

(Caption blogging style is from the all knowing, butterfly catcher, elephant giver, Nate Ssepuya.)

*******My pictures won't load today :( ********

4 comments:

  1. Poor Docas!Did her mom do more than get her haircut? Perhaps sneak into her room in the middle of the night wearing a hood over her head and start whispering to her, like you did? Hmmmm, good thing Docas has you! :P
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many cups of Chai do you have each day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see pictures so bad!!! Does it look anything like the time Vetrica and Novella did your hair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her mom only got her hair cut! It was so funny. :P
    For the Chai: I usually have one...but the norm for here is like 3 or 4. You have breakfast tea, midmorning tea, afternoon tea, and after dinner tea sometimes. Soo much! But I have also been coming up with NesCafe(their instant coffee with half water half milk and sugar) So good! And with my hair, its A LOT different then when vetrica and novella braided it. Its more of tiny twists with extentions. I will try to post pics.

    ReplyDelete